Unless you are a pizza, the answer is yes, I can live without you.
Bill is close, but there may be a FEW more food items I couldn’t live without:
- Yum Yum Sauce, Sexy Sauce, Shrimp Sauce (whichever name you prefer)
- Chinese takeout on the weekends
- Diet Mountain Dew. Yes, I am aware how bad it is for you.
- Grilled chicken with BBQ Sauce & a side of fries
- Beer. The lighter the better, I’m talking to you Miller Lite.
Okay, now that I am salivating thinking of all my favorite foods, lets get to the topic at hand, the worlds best BBQ Chicken Pizza!
I am a pizza fiend. When asked where I want to eat on the weekend, I typically pick somewhere that serves some form of flatbread of pizza options. I just love it. The cheese, the sauce, the flavors!
The past few years I decided to step outside my pizza comfort zone (pepperoni, mushroom, EXTRA black olives) and try different pizzas to see what else I liked.
Shortly after, my love affair with BBQ Chicken pizzas began.
My guy went to Las Vegas this week for work & I decided to treat myself while he was away.
The best parts about this BBQ Chicken pizza:
- Incredibly easy to make. You only have to cook the bacon, everything else is pre-made.
- Almost every item I already had in my refrigerator. I always keep bacon, onions, bbq sauce, cheese & pre-cooked chicken on hand at all times. I only had to buy the pizza dough!
- It takes less than 30 minutes to make so if you have last minute visitors you can throw it together very quickly and look like a superstar!
Adding the cilantro after you bake it is completely up to you. I love the look & taste of fresh cilantro so I chopped it while the pizza cooked & threw it on after but you can make it either way.
That BBQ sauce drizzle though!
Quick note about your pizza dough:
- If using store bought dough like I did it will typically come packaged as 16oz of dough. Divide this to get portion size for this recipe. Save the other half for another day or make 2 large pizzas for the family!
- I used wheat dough but the plain as well as flavored doughs work just as well!
I am not even going to pretend like I didn’t eat my entire BBQ Chicken pizza in one setting. Like I said…I am a pizza fiend!
- 8 ounces pizza dough
- 1 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken, diced
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce, separated
- 1/8 cup red onion, sliced thin & quartered
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- parchment paper
- pizza stone (if you have)
- large baking sheet
Preheat oven to 500 degrees. If you have a pizza stone, add it to the oven and allow to warm with oven (around 30 minutes).
Add bacon slices into non-stick pan and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes until crispy. Once cool, break into small pieces and set aside.
While bacon is cooking, allow pizza dough to come to room temperature and rise. *see notes for more information*
Place parchment paper onto over turned baking sheet (this will make it easy to slide pizza on and off when going to and from oven). Stretch out your pizza dough on the paper. You can either form a circle or a rectangle, this is completely up to you.
When dough is stretched enough, spread bbq sauce onto dough. Leave about half an inch of dough exposed on the edges for your crust.
Next add cheese, chicken, bacon, & red onions. Be generous, the more toppings the better!
Add pizza to oven. If using pizza stone, transfer the pizza from the upside down baking sheet onto the stone, if not leave on baking sheet. Cook for 8-10 minutes until cheese completely melted and edges browned.
Once pizza is cooked, allow to cool for 2-4 minutes. Next add chopped cilantro & slice pizza.
For a fun look, plus the extra kick of bbq sauce, drizzle remaining bbq sauce onto pizza. Serve & Enjoy!